Huge Sessions Issue

Posted by jdev
Hi Size43,

I am currently experiencing some big issues with my game. It appears that whenever I log in to the game, I cannot see other people and they cannot see me or my chat messages. (Please keep in mind that everything was working correctly about 2 weeks ago and no code has changed to affect this is any way)

Then, if I re-log a few times, it's very rare that I will get into the same (session?) as another one of my users. Even if I do, I cannot see them moving and they are static.

This is similar to the issue that I helped you debug a few weeks ago with the sessions changing when re logging, but this time it's not even joining the same session to begin with and even when re logging it doesn't change to the correct session.

Everyone who is playing has a strong connection and are connected to the server. Please can I have more information about this as soon as possible as it is causing downtime for my users as the game is not playable while this is occurring.

Replies (15)

Last message on 22 Jul 2018

Size43 (Administrator) on 20 Jul 2018, 09:38:15
At the time of writing this, you have 88 active sessions on the server, of which 48 with type=0. Any session with type=0 can be used as the starting . If you want players to always join the same session you should not create more than one session with type=0.

You seem to be creating new sessions at a rate of around 30 new sessions per minute or 1 new session every two seconds. I'd suggest reducing that a bit, since slightly more than half of those 30 sessions you create each minute are already empty again within a minute.
Ptown01 on 21 Jul 2018, 07:34:51
I have just a general question about this system as a whole. I read in the upgrades section that max players is 32, which is understandable. But what happens if a 33rd player wants to play the game, or is there any way to allow more players to play. I'm building an MMO and I'm just curious.
Size43 (Administrator) on 22 Jul 2018, 14:50:51
There is no specific max on the number of players per session.

There's a server status page here:https://gamemakerserver.com/en/status/
The server load is shared between all games. Once it hits 100% no more people can join, unless your game is under the "Minimal number of players that can login when it's busy on the server", which you can find under the "Upgrades" page of your game.
jdev (Topicstarter) on 20 Jul 2018, 12:46:43
Hi,

I have no code in my game for creating sessions.
Size43 (Administrator) on 20 Jul 2018, 13:24:29
This is about the game with a game ID starting with 58 that you mailed me about, correct?
Size43 (Administrator) on 20 Jul 2018, 13:41:24
Nevermind, I got that confused with someone else.
Size43 (Administrator) on 20 Jul 2018, 12:47:36
Did you enable VS mode?
jdev (Topicstarter) on 20 Jul 2018, 12:50:36
Yes, I did. I am trying to add PVP eventually to the game but I am thinking of not using VS mode and doing my own system with GameINI's and in-game variables blah blah.

But yes, I did.
Size43 (Administrator) on 20 Jul 2018, 12:52:41
If you enable VS mode, you end up in a lobby when the game starts. After the lobby timer runs out, you'll be placed into a new session for a match. New players will then join a new lobby session.

If you do not want this behaviour you should disable VS mode.
Ptown01 on 21 Jul 2018, 05:55:19
Hey, im just a little bit confused on where to actually begin adding a chat system into my game. Do I need to add the D&D chat thing somewhere? or is it just a simple code?
Size43 (Administrator) on 22 Jul 2018, 14:48:51
You can do this both using D&D or GML. You need to tell the extension where the chat should be, which is what the D&D action (or gms_chat_bind_pos, ..._bind_view, etc) does. Calling it once at the beginning of the game is enough.
jdev (Topicstarter) on 20 Jul 2018, 12:57:12
So if I disable VS mode the issue should fix itself immediately?
Size43 (Administrator) on 20 Jul 2018, 12:59:43
It might take ~10 minutes or so, because there are still many sessions around. As soon as those disappear you should be back to having only 1 session (or most likely a few, as there might still be players in different sessions that won't get merged automatically).

In any case, no new sessions would be created, so the problem disappears on its own eventually.
jdev (Topicstarter) on 20 Jul 2018, 13:01:08
Is there a way for you to
remove those unneeded sessions? Otherwise, thank you for your assistance.
Size43 (Administrator) on 20 Jul 2018, 13:16:10
I'm not able to delete sessions, that happens automatically after a few minutes of inactivity.