having difficult showing players

Posted by LotusNinja
game starts up i log in to my game correctly, then i log into gms correctly then it takes me to my first room correctly. problem is im not seeing the other players when i try to log in to 2 clients. i feel as if i have followed all the tutorials properly.

Replies (33)

Last message on 3 Jan 2017

LotusNinja (Topicstarter) on 17 Dec 2016, 00:54:47
I ended up changing something important to fix this issue.

if global.camfromroom = true

to false

and false to true.

now i spawn the corner of all rooms when changing.
LotusNinja (Topicstarter) on 17 Dec 2016, 00:56:10
also imported all objects into a new project with the original client which had my KEY_PRESS issue :)
LotusNinja (Topicstarter) on 16 Dec 2016, 09:49:58
No longer having this issue. Now moving on to sync all the other objects :)
LotusNinja (Topicstarter) on 17 Dec 2016, 00:53:14
not even sure where to start looking at other topics. my game is an rpg and save features and a ton of objects im sure this isnt easy lol but at least u could talk to friends and u can see them :)
LotusNinja (Topicstarter) on 15 Dec 2016, 23:21:41
I can now see when I login server. now the problem is i keep getting this error.
############################################################################################
FATAL ERROR in
action number 1
of Async Event: Networking
for object CLIENT:

Variable CLIENT.CHAT(100131, -2147483648) not set before reading it.
at gml_Script_ReceivedPacket (line 11) - case CHAT: //Chatting
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Script_ReceivedPacket (line 11)
called from - gml_Object_CLIENT_NetworkingEvent_1 (line 7) - ReceivedPacket(buffer);

Question is no matter where i put the Client, in the main room, or a different room or the first room i get these errors so where should it go insted ? I have an obj_player with an obj_controller. Ive tried putting stuff from my client into my player and my player object.
LotusNinja (Topicstarter) on 15 Dec 2016, 23:23:19
I also have a CHAT object. Its having problems with.
LotusNinja (Topicstarter) on 15 Dec 2016, 23:29:36
that example works fine but its conflicting with things when i add the example obj_player to my obj_player.
then add Client to a Room. i added the scripts and i added the chat box and the slave to my project. I also changed the IP to mine and also tried with default IP.
LotusNinja (Topicstarter) on 15 Dec 2016, 23:33:21
Create on the obj_player

//
instance_activate_all()
canbehit=true
c_rotation = 0;

step
//
depth = -y
c_rotation = point_direction(x, y, mouse_x, mouse_y) - 90;

scr_player_step()
//

then i add in this create event

//
prefered_name = get_string("Name?","");
playerName = ""
movespeed = 2;
buffer_seek(CLIENT.client_buffer,buffer_seek_start,0);
buffer_write(CLIENT.client_buffer,buffer_u8,3);
buffer_write(CLIENT.client_buffer,buffer_string,prefered_name);
CLIENT.result = network_send_packet(CLIENT.socket,CLIENT.client_buffer,buffer_tell(CLIENT.client_buffer));

step event
//

if keyboard_check_pressed("S")
key_send(KEY_PRESS,1);
if keyboard_check_pressed("W")
key_send(KEY_PRESS,2);
if keyboard_check_pressed("D")
key_send(KEY_PRESS,3);
if keyboard_check_pressed("A")
key_send(KEY_PRESS,4);

if keyboard_check_released("S")
key_send(KEY_RELEASE,1);
if keyboard_check_released("W")
key_send(KEY_RELEASE,2);
if keyboard_check_released
Size43 (Administrator) on 16 Dec 2016, 21:15:03
Hey,

This does not look like a GameMaker Server project. I'm unable to help with other projects.
LotusNinja (Topicstarter) on 17 Dec 2016, 00:57:26
This incorporates highscores using server. i want more server things.
LotusNinja (Topicstarter) on 17 Dec 2016, 01:01:10
gms taught me how some server things work thanks for that too.
LotusNinja (Topicstarter) on 17 Dec 2016, 01:01:51
my game just would not work with the gms settings. its saves highscores great tho.
LotusNinja (Topicstarter) on 17 Dec 2016, 01:02:50
any forums you could point me to thats actually active on these topics?
LotusNinja (Topicstarter) on 17 Dec 2016, 01:05:24
maybe i can sync my objects with sever and sounds. have the harder stuff done with a different client object lol
Size43 (Administrator) on 3 Jan 2017, 12:32:14
Hey, apologies for my very late response> I've had some issues with ml hand that prevented me from using a computer (RSI).

I can help with the highscores, but not with the rest. You could try asking on the yoyogames forums.
Size43 (Administrator) on 10 Nov 2016, 12:14:27
Do you see the "X has logged in" message in the top left/right corner of the game when you log in one of the other clients?
LotusNinja (Topicstarter) on 23 Nov 2016, 00:45:06
Nope i dont see when someone logs . fixing more things will update if any progress. Thanks.
Size43 (Administrator) on 28 Nov 2016, 15:04:36
Then you're not connected to the server, or the GMS object somehow got destroyed/deactivated. Make sure you're not doing a with (all) instance_destroy() or instance_deactivate_all() anywhere.
LotusNinja (Topicstarter) on 16 Dec 2016, 00:11:14
i do have an instance_activate_all(). Checking and seeing if anything is different again.
LotusNinja (Topicstarter) on 16 Dec 2016, 02:50:56
Server Error when i place the client to work only in a Room. and im trying to move from my main room into the new room with the client . obj collide with roomchanger, moving to room and this happens

FATAL ERROR in
action number 1
of Async Event: Networking
for object SERVER:

buffer_write argument 1 incorrect type (5) expecting a String (YYGS)
at gml_Object_SERVER_Other_68
LotusNinja (Topicstarter) on 17 Dec 2016, 01:04:06
didnt notice a difference much with instance_activate_all() or not.
Sharkboy019 on 22 Nov 2016, 16:48:02
Hello, I have the same problem, in my case I do see that message every time a client is connected and disconnected. The strange thing is that when one shoots, all the clients see the bullet perfectly, but they can not see the client, it is as if the sprite of the player was invisible. I have guided of the example that the download file brings for do this. I'm using Game Maker Studio 1.4.1760.
UnderJustin on 23 Nov 2016, 04:53:30
You both can try to downgrade your GMS, do that can fix some bugs. There is already another topics solved with that.
LotusNinja (Topicstarter) on 16 Dec 2016, 02:53:30
willing to try at some point :) thanks
Sharkboy019 on 23 Nov 2016, 04:59:13
The problem is that I'm making a game for Android, and if I downgrade the GMS, I will not be able to upload the game to the Play Store because of "libpng" issues. Is there any other solution?
Size43 (Administrator) on 28 Nov 2016, 15:03:15
Sounds like the game is somehow not detecting the room correctly. Is your login in a separate room from the game itself?
Sharkboy019 on 29 Nov 2016, 01:07:12
No, everything is in the same game. I was doing several tests and I realized that the problem is the version of Game Maker Studio, I am currently using version 1.4.1760 and I have this error. But I tried with version 1.4.1451 and I do not have that problem, everything works fine. So the problem is for lack of compatibility, is not it?
Size43 (Administrator) on 2 Dec 2016, 13:43:54
There has been a version of GM which broke all DLL functions. Are you using the All or the Windows version of the extension?
LotusNinja (Topicstarter) on 16 Dec 2016, 02:54:13
all version as well.
Size43 (Administrator) on 16 Dec 2016, 21:16:48
It seems like you're mixing GameMaker Server with GameMaker's networking functions. I don't recommend doing that, as it may cause some issues.
Sharkboy019 on 3 Dec 2016, 01:59:19
I'm using the "All" version because I'm developing an Android game.
Size43 (Administrator) on 16 Dec 2016, 21:05:43
Would you mind mailing me the project at gamemakerserver@outlook.com?