Updating game problems

Posted by AouabAdYT
Hi,

I have some problems updating my game,
I have set my client version to 1.0 and my game version in the website to 1.1 , the gms_update_check() returns always -1, I tried modifying both versions and setting them to the same values it always returns -1.

I don't wanna release the first version of my game before i make sure that updating is working because i don't wanna get people into bugs and people playing the game in an old version :/

More details :

Init game code :
gms_settings(true,1.0,objPlayer,objOtherPlayer)
x = 640 - sprite_width/2
y = 360 - sprite_height/2
global.version = "Beta-1.0:Release[20/03/2018]:NFL_Client.exe";
nfl_init_launcher(); //Ignore this

nfl_check_updates(); //Problem is in this script

if gms_update_has_updated()
{
    show_message("The game has been successfully updated.")
}
alarm[0] = 60 //Ignore it too

Script nfl_check_updates() (In the first reply because i haven't enough space to write it here)

Replies (5)

Last message on 24 Mar 2018

AouabAdYT (Topicstarter) on 22 Mar 2018, 22:50:43
r = gms_update_check()
if r = true
{   
    if show_question("A new version is released , would you like to update your client?")
    {
        room_goto(updating)
    }
    else
    {
        game_end();
    }
}
else if r = -1
{
    show_message("An error has occured while trying to check for updates.") //Always shows this message
}

PS : I tried setting the game's download link to a 404 page on my website or or another .exe direct download link but nothing changes.
Size43 (Administrator) on 24 Mar 2018, 15:24:16
If gms_update_check returns -1, it's still waiting on the update information. You should give the extension enough time to check for an update.

[Also, a quick note: only test updating by creating an executable, then updating that executable. If you test it directly by clicking the 'Run' or 'Debug' button in GM:Studio you'll overwrite the GM runner, and you'll need to reinstall]
AouabAdYT (Topicstarter) on 24 Mar 2018, 15:44:25
Thank you so much!
I was waiting for your answer for long :)
AouabAdYT (Topicstarter) on 24 Mar 2018, 15:45:03
By the way , I'm oldschool , i'm using GM8 :)
Size43 (Administrator) on 24 Mar 2018, 15:46:08
Ah, in that case you won't need to create an executable first -- you can just test directly after clicking the 'Run' button.