New dev. Got questions.

Posted by CassidyL
Hi.

Background: Hobbyist GMS2 dev working on a 2-player puzzle fighting game. Very similar to Tetris Attack or Pokemon Puzzle League, for reference. I'm not finished but I'm at a point where the gameplay is stable and I'm trying to create some online multiplayer functionality to test out with a friend. I've tried to make my own solution, twice, and it has proven too difficult and outside my comfort zone.

This solution looks really promising and appears to tick all the boxes. So I just wanted to ask a few questions:

1) Portability / Scalability. Early on, it will just be me and a couple people playing a private test builds of course, but later on I am worried if hundreds or even thousands of people start playing all at once, what would happen? It's a 1-on-1 game, but people would be logging in, creating a private-match lobby or joining lobby or quickmatch search, and then playing against one person. Do your servers fill up? I see that there's a Donation button, but it appears that's just a quick-fix solution. If the player base gets larger than your servers can handle, is there a way for me to port an instance of GameMaker Server to my own private heroku/docker server so I can buy my own server space? If so, are there any licensing costs associated with doing this and if so how much?

2) Compatibility. Will this work with GMS2? Is macOS okay or only Windows? Will I be able to just 'Build' and have those builds connect to your servers during the testing/programming process (rather than having to publish a proper executable)?

Thanks again and I'm really excited about the potential of this solution.

Replies (2)

Last message on 3 Oct 2019

Size43 (Administrator) on 29 Sep 2019, 14:06:46
Hi, unfortunately I'm going to have to disappoint: currently only GM:Studio 1 and below is supported.

I'm working on a rewrite which will support GM8 up to GM:Studio 2, is easily scalable, etc. However, don't wait on that -- it might still be years before it's fully finished.
CassidyL (Topicstarter) on 3 Oct 2019, 04:29:20
Okay, in that case I will wait and occasionally check in to see when it's available. I appreciate your honesty.