IRC/Twitch Chat Connection?

Posted by noahjeadie
Howdy!

I want to add Twitch integration to a GM8 project of mine. I'm a GML veteran but know next to nothing about networking/connections/multiplayer programming. I've just downloaded the GameMaker Server extension, and am in the process of poring over the documentation to learn how to use it. However, the more I look through this, the more it seems like it offers a different sort of service than what I'm seeking, or at the least has a different focus than what I'm seeking. I specifically want to be able to communicate information between my game and Twitch chat. The only piece of the puzzle I one hundred percent understand so far is that Twitch chat is actually IRC - beyond that, I'm far, far beyond my depths. Could anyone point me in the right direction for this - is there any specific area in the documentation that covers this topic in depth? For that matter, is using GameMaker Server actually appropriate for my goal, or would I be better served elsewhere?

Thank you sincerely for your time.

Replies (1)

Last message on 2 May 2021

Size43 (Administrator) on 2 May 2021, 16:41:01
Hi,

It sounds like GameMaker Server is not the thing you're looking for. GameMaker Server is an extension for making multiplayer games. It does not offer a way to integrate with Twitch chat or IRC. Unfortunately I don't know much about Twitch integration, so it's hard for me to point you in the right direction.