Problem with image_index - Animations

Posted by diomatics
The other player object won't reset the image_index back to 0 after I stop the run animation. However, image_speed seems to work fine.

Why doesn't image_index apply to the other player?

Replies (9)

Last message on 15 Dec 2018

Size43 (Administrator) on 15 Dec 2018, 19:07:10
image_index is not synced by default as it generally makes slight lagging very visible (because a slight delay might cause a frame to be skipped). You can change this behaviour using gms_optimize_variables.

However I'd recommend just using either a separate sprite for when the animation should be stopped, or detecting the conditions locally on each client instead of syncing them. (both of these would be more efficient than constantly syncing image_index)
jdev on 6 Dec 2018, 15:14:49
Basic variables such as image_index and image_speed should automatically sync. Please could you show your code for this specific instance of events?
diomatics (Topicstarter) on 9 Dec 2018, 00:44:16
Hey.

Thanks for your reply.

I have a lot of code, so I don't know how to show it properly. It it just a basic movement script. If the hspeed == 0 the image_speed and image_index will be set both to 0.
Is there a other/better way to handle it?

It is only the image index which is not working (strangely).
Again, it works fine with the normal player...
jdev on 9 Dec 2018, 02:00:14
When you put code like that into your obj_player, it should automatically work in the obj_other_player.

I would need to see your code to continue to debug the situation effectively.
diomatics (Topicstarter) on 9 Dec 2018, 13:56:56
I have a keyboard event that adds 1 to debug when pressed, so that I can cycle through the animation.

sprite_index = s_player;

if (debug > 0)
{

image_index = debug;

}

image_index won't work, no matter how I use it... but why?
jdev on 9 Dec 2018, 15:21:54
OK, so image_index is for the frames in a sprite_sheet, so if you only have 1 frame in your player sprite_sheet, then it will just return false and not work.

If you have a walking animation, your image_index could be set to the (for example) 3rd frame, which would be image_index = 2 (which could be your idle frame in the sprite sheet.

sprite_index is for changing your sprite's index to that of another, so you can change it to a completely different sprite.
jdev on 9 Dec 2018, 15:23:57
To add on, if you have already set the sprite of the obj_player using the build in GM:Studio systems, you do not need to put "sprite_index = s_player" in your code anywhere, as that will just cause issues.
diomatics (Topicstarter) on 9 Dec 2018, 16:29:24
Okay, I will completly re-write my project just to have it more clear.

Thank you!
jdev on 9 Dec 2018, 17:34:43
No problem! Let me know if you have any more issues.